.directory TLDs are cheap, and no one seems to be using them. For a laugh, I made a directory of people with my name yesterday. Here is how I summate the experience:
- Building something is always nice.
- It required maybe two hours of my attention at most.
- It was something to sling onto Github Pages.
- I become acquainted, via email, with a few other people named Ryan Maynard.
- The overall aesthetic of the site is atrocious.
- I left the stock images in the site.
- It serves virtually no purpose, and I will not put in the effort to rank it.
There are a few more things I could do to make tidy up this toy project.
- Create a Jekyll theme that is more neutral/generic with same layout.
- Create a fairly easy to understand README with a few screenshots.
- Use this to make a beginner-level Jekyll tutorial.
- Buy a few more domains of famous people, create the directories, and link them all to the git repo.
All in, it was a nice little project to do last minute. I like to monitor my create:consume ratio. It is so easy to default to consumption of media and content; but I seem to feel better and healthier, when I’m incessantly making things big and small.
Do me a favor? Go make a small
something right now? Something that you enjoy doing.